Friday, October 30, 2009

Method 5 --- Flickr


Smile...Say Cheese! Ready.... 1,2,3 FLASH! Oh the joys of taking pictures to make memories stay clear in your mind. But what do we do with them? Have them printed and put into photo albums or scrapbooks? And then when we need to track down a photo from Summer Reading in 2007, where do we even begin to search? Flickr is an online photo sharing site that I have used in the past. I never posted my own photos but I made an account so that I could see friends' photos. For this course, I added some display photos that I took of the Ocotber displays.

On the legal side of the question, I don't think that libraries should post photos that have library patrons in them. Privacy is an issue that affects all of us. We have to remember that some people just do not want to be out in the public eye. Remembering to ask permission of everyone at an event is possible but if one person says that they do not want to have their photo taken or published, we encounter a problem. I believe that it is best thing for we as librarian should do is if we want to publish photos to be seen by the public, let them be of just displays or interior of the library without patrons in the photos. If you must take photos at an event, save those for the scrapbooks and photo albums.

The next post is an experiment on how to "blog it" from Flickr. I hope it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment