Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Beyond Method (Step) #4 -- Employment 2.0

How do we as librarians help those who are looking for a job in this economy?  There are several ways.  Our library has now been offering beginning computer classes 2 weeks each month and a job hunting class the last week of the month for the last 2 months now.  I have personally been the "teacher" at each of these classes.  The job hunting class has been an interesting one to teach in that all of the people attending it really have a need.  Some do not understand why they have to apply online; some have never had to have a resume; and still some have been out of the work force for a period of time and have no idea how to get back into it.  I am working on a resume writing class using Word templates and also Google Docs.  I think that being able to use both of them will be able to help some of the public that do not have their own computers and have to use public computers to access everything. 
I have mentioned Linked in when teaching the class but I have not personally used it.  We have worked on some other social networking in the class but most of my "students" have very little computer knowledge if any at all. I was even thinking about changing my job hunting class a little bit and offering it after graduation to the teens who are looking for a summer job or a first job.

No comments:

Post a Comment