Friday, May 13, 2011

Method (Step) #6 -- eBooks, eReaders, and the World of Tomorrow

I really liked this method.  We have been discussing ereaders here at the library for a while now.  I have offered a workshop on ebooks and ereaders called the Ins and Outs of the Digital Book.  In this workshop, we discussed how to access ebooks on the library's website (we use Overdrive), how to check them out, put them on hold, and how to download them into a Nook.  (We have a Nookcolor here at the library.)  My director and I have been discussing getting ereaders to have for patrons to check out.  We have even written grants to see if we could get the funding for the readers and ebooks for the readers.  During the workshop, I went over free sites online where they can download books onto all of the different types of readers.  We went to Project Gutenberg and downloaded this book:

I showed them that the Project Gutenberg website tries to get the first editions of the classic books and have them uploaded.  I did warn them that the first editions have not been changed in anyway and may offended those that are easily offended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment